At AquaCruise, leading providers of Mediterranean yacht charters, we know how important it is that you embark on the right vessel in exactly the right area to make your holiday a once in a lifetime experience.
If you are booking a mega yacht charter for the first time, it can appear to be a slightly daunting task. Here are ten important questions that you can ask yourself before you get in touch with us to discuss your ideal yacht charter holiday. We suggest you run through the list so you know exactly what you are after.
1. Where would you like to go on yacht charter? Do you fancy cruising the azure blue waters of the French Riviera or Corsica on a Mediterranean yachter charter, or are you after something a bit off the beaten track, such as the beautifully rugged coast of Croatia?
2. When is your ideal time to go? If you are looking for that dream two week holiday during the school summer holidays, the Mediterranean is the ideal destination. If you would like to charter a yacht in December, the Caribbean is your best bet.
3. What type of yacht do you dream of sailing – a motor yacht or a more traditional sailing boat? Both are available for hire through AquaCruise, in numerous destinations.
4. Once you have decided what sort of boat you desire, the next question to answer is how big should the yacht be? Are you looking for a yacht large enough for family, friends, and hangers-on, or a smaller vessel for an intimate group? This question is also important in helping you decide how many cabins you require the craft to have.
5. Does the yacht have to be suitable for children/the elderly/ the disabled? Do you require the yacht to be child-friendly with a hydraulic platform to help everyone board easily, whether they are in a pushchair, wheelchair or unsteady on their feet?
6. Are you hoping to bring a much-loved family pet on board your charter?
7. Do you want a crew of some kind, and if so, of what kind? Yacht charters can be equipped with a minimal crew of two to a full crew of up to 30-plus.
8. What is your budget? It is important to set yourself a budget before you start planning the trip, to know more or less what you are willing to pay.
9. What extra costs are there? While on the subject of money, remember, that on the majority of yacht charters it is customary to pay tips. As a general guide, it is typical to tip around ten percent of the cost of the charter to the captain, who then distributes this to the crew. It is therefore important to factor this cost into your budget.
10. Finally, what yacht toys would you like to have with your vessel? For example, are you interested in cruising through the water on a sea bob or a jet ski during your holiday, or would you prefer a more leisurely pastime such as snorkelling?
Once you have answered these questions, the next step is to contact one of the AquaCruise brokers who will help you find the perfect charter to fulfil all of your requirements. We can also run through some of the more specific aspects of a yacht charter including how the contract works, where to find insurance and how payment is made.